One of the most stressful things you can do is to own and run your own business.
- Not getting the right life-work balance
- Not having the information, you need to make sensible and correct decisions
- Losing too much of what you earn to the taxman
- Having the wrong type of customers
- Other people, especially customers and your employees behaving unreasonably or unfairly
- Having your hard-earned money stolen from you
- Letting customers down by making mistakes
- Not making enough profit
- Running out of cash and other similar cashflow problems
- Being forced to work a lot more than you want to
- Having too many things on your to-do list
- Too much depending on you, and too many things that can only be done by you
Many business owners run around chasing their tail, trying to do everything in their business. They become a slave to themselves. You don’t want to be in this position, as then the ownership of your business becomes a drag, and then takes you away from why you’re probably doing this in the first place. It then becomes a job.
It’s easy to run out of hours during the day as it’s your ‘baby’ and you don’t trust anyone else to do what you do as well as you do.
So, ask yourself this. What can I do that ensures that others can do everything in the same way and to the same standard that I would do myself? The answer then becomes more obvious. You need to write everything in a format for everyone to follow, exactly as you would do it.
These instructions then form the basis for systems on which the business is based. How this is developed is a matter of choice, but systems work best when they are tailored to the people running them, and that’s part of the long-term key. Once the systems have been created, they can be used to train and guide other people in the business, and as a basis for future growth. They will almost certainly need regular stress testing and walkthroughs to check suitability as the business grows.
Take the steps to systemise carefully and slowly, prioritising the most important and fundamental systems first. They will become the building blocks for the business, it’s growth and your trust in other people within the business. It will take you time and it won’t be easy, but you’ll be able to get your life back and it will be worth it.
For a complimentary Discovery Call to discuss the most appropriate level of support on a wider basis, a personalised quote and a guarantee of our best possible service, please complete the form below and one of our senior advisors will contact you.
Or if you prefer, please call 01296 681341 for our Wingrave Bucks Accountants office.